Formerly the Victoria, the Anastasis was built in 1953 as an Italian passenger liner and served as the flagship of the Mercy Ships fleet from 1978 to 2007. During that time, the Anastasis contributed more than half of Mercy Ships' total output in terms of number of services, value and beneficiaries. An average of 350 crew from more than 30 nations lived and worked onboard.
The former passenger liner was modified to contain three fully-equipped operating rooms, a hospital ward, a dental clinic, a laboratory, an X-ray unit, three cargo holds and accommodation for 420 crew. She carried a fleet of over 20 vehicles for onshore work.
Between 1978 and 2007, the Anastasis performed more than 1 million services, at a total value today of over $328 million with an estimated 1.2 million people as direct beneficiaries.
The Anastasis visited 275 total ports, and conducted 66 field assignments in 23 nations: Guatemala, New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Poland, Togo, Ghana, Estonia, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Lithuania, Senegal, Latvia, South Africa, Madagascar, Benin, Gambia and Liberia.
An estimated 25,000 volunteer crew members served on the Anastasis. Over 250 couples met as crew, and several weddings were held onboard, including one at sea.
Gross Tonnage: 11,701
Built: 1953 Triese, Italy
Crew Capacity: 420
Cargo Capacity: 3 holds/3,060m3
Main Engines: 2 Fiat 7,510 (8,050 BHP each)
Surveyed By: Lloyds